Jerry has presented at over 100 book clubs and firesides. Ask Jerry questions about the stories he has created or biographies he has co-authored. Click here to ask a question or request a time on your group schedule: Question or Schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where did you get the idea for your most recent book?
- Shadow Mountain asked me to write a book about people who show compassion in war. We identified 15 true stories, some from original research, others out of history, that demonstrate mercy and forgiveness. In most cases, compassion also requires courage since to help another involves risk to self. This is one of my favorite writing assignments.
How do you get inspired to write?
- Interesting historical events, interesting technology, interesting stories. Then I decide whether to write the stories as creative non-fiction, historical fiction, or as biography. I enjoy all three genres.
What are you currently working on?
- A book about “moments of mercy” in war. Great stories of people who act kindly, even in the midst of war.
What’s your advice for aspiring writers?
- Start with short stories, whether fiction or true. A book is really a series of short stories (chapters) that tie together for a complete narrative arc. A short story has to be complete in all the way that a book is, but in a much shorter version. Since it’s easier to manage, it’s easier to get started.
What’s the best thing about being a writer?
- Hearing from readers who like what you’ve written. It’s interesting to see what a book means to them. I learned a long time ago that everyone reads a different book because the reader’s life experiences influence how they interpret the story.
ASK YOUR OWN QUESTION. Click here to send Jerry an email